SELECTED VERSES ABOUT PRAYING
These verses are from the Psalms, Proverbs, and the New Testament. As
always, check the context, to get the full significance of what is
- Because of copyright issues, the verses are copied from the World
English Bible, which is public domain. In the Old Testament, this
translation uses the name of God, "Yahweh," rather than the
word "LORD" (all capital letters), which is used in most
translations. Feel free to compare different translations. There may
be small differences, but the over-all message will be the same.
- Psalm 4:1
- Answer me when I call, God of my righteousness. Give me relief
from my distress. Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer.
- Psalm 6:9
- Yahweh has heard my supplication. Yahweh accepts my prayer.
- Psalm 17:1, 6
- Hear, Yahweh, my righteous plea; Give ear to my prayer, that
doesn't go out of deceitful lips. / I have called on you, for you
will answer me, God: Turn your ear to me. Hear my speech.
- Psalm 32:6
- For this, let everyone who is godly pray to you in a time when
you may be found. Surely when the great waters overflow, they shall
not reach to him.
- Psalm 39:12
- Hear my prayer, Yahweh, and give ear to my cry. Don't be silent
at my tears. For I am a stranger with you, A foreigner, as all my
- Psalm 42:8
- Yahweh will command his loving kindness in the daytime. In the
night his song shall be with me: A prayer to the God of my life.
- Psalm 54:2
- Hear my prayer, God. Listen to the words of my mouth.
- Psalm 61:1
- Hear my cry, God. Listen to my prayer.
- Psalm 65:2
- You who hear prayer, To you all men will come.
- Psalm 66:19-20
- But most assuredly, God has listened. He has heard the voice of
my prayer. / Blessed be God, who has not turned away my prayer, Nor
his loving kindness from me.
- Psalm 69:13
- But as for me, my prayer is to you, Yahweh, in an acceptable
time. God, in the abundance of your loving kindness, answer me in the
truth of your salvation.
- Psalm 86:6
- Hear, Yahweh, my prayer. Listen to the voice of my petitions.
- Psalm 88:2, 13
- Let my prayer enter into your presence. Turn your ear to my cry.
/ But to you, Yahweh, I have cried. In the morning, my prayer comes
- Psalm 102:17
- He has responded to the prayer of the destitute, And has not
despised their prayer.
- Psalm 109:4
- In return for my love, they are my adversaries; But I am in prayer.
- Psalm 141:2
- Let my prayer be set before you like incense; The lifting up of
my hands like the evening sacrifice.
- Psalm 143:1
- Hear my prayer, Yahweh. Listen to my petitions. In your
faithfulness and righteousness, relieve me.
- Proverbs 15:8
- The sacrifice made by the wicked is an abomination to Yahweh, But
the prayer of the upright is his delight.
- Proverbs 15:29
- Yahweh is far from the wicked, But he hears the prayer of the righteous.
- Proverbs 28:9
- He who turns away his ear from hearing the law, Even his prayer
is an abomination.
- Matthew 5:44-45a
- But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do
good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and
persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven.
- Matthew 6:5-8
- When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love
to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corners of the
streets, that they may be seen by men. Most assuredly, I tell you,
they have received their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into
your inner chamber, and having shut your door, pray to your Father
who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you
openly. In praying, don't use vain repetitions, as the Gentiles do;
for they think that they will be heard for their much speaking.
Therefore don't be like them, for your Father knows what things you
need, before you ask him.
- Matthew 6:9-13
- Pray like this: 'Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept
holy. Let your kingdom come. Let your will be done, as in heaven, so
on earth. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we
also forgive our debtors. Bring us not into temptation, but deliver
us from the evil one. For yours is the kingdom, the power, and the
glory forever. Amen.'
- Mark 11:25
- Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against
anyone; so that your Father, who is in heaven, may also forgive you
- Mark 12:40
- [Beware of the scribes...] those who devour widows' houses, and
for a pretense make long prayers. These will receive greater condemnation.
- Mark 14:38
- Watch and pray, that you may not enter into temptation. The
spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
- Luke 5:16
- But he [Jesus] withdrew himself into the desert, and prayed.
- Luke 6:12
- It happened in these days, that he went out to the mountain to
pray, and he continued all night in prayer to God.
- Luke 6:27-28
- But I tell you who hear: love your enemies, do good to those who
hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who mistreat you.
- Luke 11:2-4
- He said to them, "When you pray, say, 'Our Father in heaven,
May your name be kept holy. May your kingdom come. May your will be
done on Earth, as it is in heaven. Give us day by day our daily
bread. Forgive us our sins, For we ourselves also forgive everyone
who is indebted to us. Bring us not into temptation, But deliver us
from the evil one.'"
- Luke 18:1
- He also spoke a parable to them that they must always pray, and
not give up,
- Luke 18:10-14
- Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and
the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed to
himself like this: 'God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of
men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax
collector. I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.' But
the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn't even lift up his eyes
to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a
sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather
than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but
he who humbles himself will be exalted.
- Luke 20:46-47
- Beware of the scribes, who like to walk in long robes, and love
greetings in the marketplaces, the best seats in the synagogues, and
the best places at feasts; who devour widows' houses, and for a
pretense make long prayers: these will receive greater condemnation.
- Luke 21:36
- Therefore be watchful all the time, asking that you may be
counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to
stand before the Son of Man.
- Luke 22:40, 46
- When he was at the place, he said to them, "Pray that you
don't enter into temptation." / [He] said to them, "Why do
you sleep? Rise and pray that you may not enter into temptation."
- John 17:15, 20
- I pray not that you would take them from the world, but that you
would keep them from the evil one. / Not for these only do I pray,
but for those also who believe in me through their word,
- Acts 2:42
- They continued steadfastly in the apostles' teaching and
fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and prayer.
- Acts 10:2-4
- [Cornelius was] a devout man, and one who feared God with all his
house, who gave gifts for the needy generously to the people, and
always prayed to God. At about the ninth hour of the day, he clearly
saw in a vision an angel of God coming to him, and saying to him,
"Cornelius!" He, fastening his eyes on him, and being
frightened, said, "What is it, Lord?" He said to him,
"Your prayers and your gifts to the needy have gone up for a
memorial before God."
- Acts 14:23
- When they had appointed elders for them in every assembly, and
had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom
they had believed.
- Romans 8:26
- In the same way, the Spirit also helps our weaknesses, for we
don't know how to pray as we ought. But the Spirit himself makes
intercession for us with groanings which can't be uttered.
- Romans 12:12
- rejoicing in hope; enduring in troubles; continuing steadfastly
- Romans 15:30-32
- Now I beg you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ, and by the
love of the Spirit, that you strive together with me in your prayers
to God for me, that I may be delivered from those who are disobedient
in Judea, and that my service which I have for Jerusalem may be
acceptable to the saints; that I may come to you in joy through the
will of God, and together with you, find rest.
- Ephesians 1:15-19
- For this cause I also, having heard of the faith in the Lord
Jesus which is among you, and the love which you have toward all the
saints, don't cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in
my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of
glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the
knowledge of him; having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that
you may know what is the hope of his calling, and what are the riches
of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the
exceeding greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to
that working of the strength of his might
- Ephesians 3:16-21
- [I pray] that [the Father] would grant you, according to the
riches of his glory, that you may be strengthened with power through
his Spirit in the inward man; that Christ may dwell in your hearts
through faith; to the end that you, being rooted and grounded in
love, may be strengthened to comprehend with all the saints what is
the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know Christ's
love which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the
fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly
above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in
us, to him be the glory in the assembly and in Christ Jesus to all
generations forever and ever. Amen.
- Ephesians 6:18-20
- [Put on the whole armor of God...] with all prayer and requests,
praying at all times in the Spirit, and being watchful to this end in
all perseverance and requests for all the saints: on my behalf, that
utterance may be given to me in opening my mouth, to make known with
boldness the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in
chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
- Philippians 1:3-4
- I thank my God whenever I remember you, always in every request
of mine on behalf of you all making my requests with joy,
- Philippians 1:9-11 1:9
- This I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in
knowledge and all discernment; so that you may approve the things
that are excellent; that you may be sincere and without offense to
the day of Christ; being filled with the fruits of righteousness,
which are through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.
- Philippians 1:19
- For I know that this will turn out to my salvation, through your
supplication and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,
- Philippians 4:6
- In nothing be anxious, but in everything, by prayer and petition
with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.
- Colossians 1:3
- We give thanks to God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
praying always for you,
- Colossians 1:9-12
- For this cause, we also, since the day we heard this, don't cease
praying and making requests for you, that you may be filled with the
knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, that
you may walk worthily of the Lord, to please him in all respects,
bearing fruit in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of
God; strengthened with all power, according to the might of his
glory, for all endurance and perseverance with joy; giving thanks to
the Father, who made us fit to be partakers of the inheritance of the
saints in light;
- Colossians 4:2-4
- Continue steadfastly in prayer, watching therein with
thanksgiving; praying together for us also, that God may open to us a
door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am
also in bonds; that I may reveal it as I ought to speak.
- Colossians 4:12
- Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, salutes you,
always striving for you in his prayers, that you may stand perfect
and complete in all the will of God.
- 1 Thessalonians 1:2
- We always give thanks to God for all of you, mentioning you in
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17
- Pray without ceasing.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:25
- Brothers, pray for us.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12
- To this end we also pray always for you, that our God may count
you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire of goodness and
work of faith, with power; that the name of our Lord Jesus may be
glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God
and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:1-2
- Finally, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may
spread rapidly and be glorified, even as also with you; and that we
may be delivered from unreasonable and evil men; for not all have faith.
- 1 Timothy 2:1
- I exhort therefore, first of all, that petitions, prayers,
intercessions, and givings of thanks, be made for all men:
- 1 Timothy 2:8
- I desire therefore that the men in every place pray, lifting up
holy hands without wrath and doubting.
- Philemon 1:4, 6
- I thank my God always, making mention of you in my prayers, ...
that the fellowship of your faith may become effective, in the
knowledge of every good thing which is in us in Christ Jesus.
- James 5:13-18
- Is any among you suffering? Let him pray. Is any cheerful? Let
him sing praises. Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders
of the assembly, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil
in the name of the Lord, and the prayer of faith will heal him who is
sick, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed sins, he
will be forgiven. Confess your offenses to one another, and pray one
for another, that you may be healed. The effective, earnest prayer of
a righteous man is powerfully effective. Elijah was a man with a
nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain, and
it didn't rain on the earth for three years and six months. He prayed
again, and the sky gave rain, and the earth brought forth its fruit.
- 1 Peter 3:7
- You husbands, in like manner, live with your wives according to
knowledge, giving honor to the woman, as to the weaker vessel, as
being also joint heirs of the grace of life; that your prayers may
not be hindered.
- 1 Peter 3:12
- For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, And his ears open
to their prayer; But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.
- 1 Peter 4:7
- But the end of all things is near. Therefore be of sound mind,
self-controlled, and sober in prayer.
- 1 John 5:16
- If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin not leading to death, he
shall ask, and God will give him life for those who sin not leading
to death. There is a sin leading to death. I don't say that he should
make a request concerning this.
- 3 John 1:2
- Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be
healthy, even as your soul prospers.
- Jude 1:20
- But you, beloved, keep building up yourselves on your most holy
faith, praying in the Holy Spirit.
- Revelation 5:8
- Now when he had taken the book, the four living creatures and the
twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one having a harp,
and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.
- Revelation 8:3
- Another angel came and stood over the altar, having a golden
censer. Much incense was given to him, that he should add it to the
prayers of all the saints on the golden altar which was before the
throne. The smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints,
went up before God out of the angel's hand.
Verse list compiled by Dennis Hinks
WEB Translation - public domain