["FRIVOLOUS FELLOWSHIP" - A Worksheet]
A. "LAUGHTER" OF ANIMALS
- Job 39:7,18,22; 41:29
B. "GENERAL INFORMATION" [PRIMARY FOCUS = ON
"GOOD" TYPES OF LAUGHTER]
There is a time to laugh/a time to NOT laugh. Ecclesiastes 3:4
- It can be from God/it can be shared with others. Genesis 21:6;
- Associated with...
- Feasting [and feasting can be either good or bad] Ecclesiastes 10:19
- Confidence in the future / confidence in God's protection. Job
5:22; Proverbs 31:25 [smile, rejoice]
- Blessings/restored blessings. Genesis 21:6; Job 8:21; Psalm 126:2
C. WARNINGS ABOUT LAUGHTER: It is not as good as many people want to believe.
It is NOT "neutral" / it is NOT always good.
- It is inferior to sorrow. Ecclesiastes 7:3
- It can be a superficial "mask" - a surface expression
that can conceal the true thoughts/emotions of the heart. Proverbs 14:13
- As a way of life, it is FOOLISH/MADNESS and has no lasting
significance/meaning. Ecclesiastes 2:2
- It is NOT the predominant attitude of those who are "the
- Major contrast in emphasis between the "blessed ones"
and the "cursed ones." Luke 6:21,25
- NOT an element of repentance/humility. James 4:9
- Laughter as a fruit of repentance... will come at a LATER time.
Job 8:21 (This verse contains a true principle, but it was wrongly
applied to Job. See also Luke 6:21.)
- SOME TYPES OF LAUGHTER CAN BE COMPLETELY EVIL - NOT GOOD AT ALL.
- Something that fools do (in contrast with what the wise do).
- Associated with drunkenness/impending judgment. Jeremiah 51:39 [filled
- Often an expression of unbelief. Genesis 17:17; 18:12,13,15;
Matthew 9:24 [ridiculed]; Mark 5:40 [ridiculed];
Luke 8:53 [ridiculed]
D. EXAMPLES OF LAUGHTER (BOTH GOOD AND BAD EXAMPLES)
The LORD - laughing at the wicked. Psalm 2:4; 37:13; 59:8
- LAUGHING AT OTHERS: (People) laughing at the (at times deserved)
judgment received by others.
- Enemies laughing at those who have been judged. Lamentations 1:7 [mocking]
- The righteous laughing at the self-confident. Psalm 52:6
- A coming conqueror laughing at self-confident cities. Habakkuk 1:10
- Wisdom laughing at those who reject her. Proverbs 1:26
- BEING LAUGHED AT: Those who are an object of laughter/ridicule (a "laughingstock"):
- Because of one's evil deeds. Genesis 38:23; Exodus 32:25 [objects
- Because of wickedness/(judgment?). Ezekiel 22:4 [mockery]
- Because of judgment or apparent judgment. Job 12:4; Lamentations 3:14
[(treated as) a joke]
Dennis Hinks © 1999
Back to the "Frivolous"
Fellowship Title Page